Proper Care of Fine Jewelry
It is important to have your jewelry cleaned and inspected regularly by our professional jewelers. The prongs that secure your gemstones must withstand the abuse of day to day living. Those prongs can become weak and damaged over the course of time. A regular inspection may prevent the loss of your gemstones, as signs of compromise may be detected before the actual loss occurs. Cleaning and inspection is a service we provide free of charge.
Even with regular inspection and cleaning, jewelry still can be damaged or gemstones lost. Therefore, it is vital that you have insurance on your heirlooms so that you can wear and enjoy them without fear of loss. Most insurance companies require an appraisal that documents details regarding the piece to be insured. We provide these appraisals upon request at no charge for items purchased from us, and provide appraisal services on other jewelry at an hourly rate.
Another crucial part of protecting your valuable investment is by avoiding problems that arise from improper cleaning, storage, and exposure to harmful chemicals.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Remove rings before performing household chores, such as cleaning or working with hand tools.
- Avoid the temptation to toss your jewelry together in a drawer or a box. Jewelry should be stored separately to avoid scratches and damage from other jewelry.
- Avoid storing pearls in a plastic bag, as the lack of moisture will cause the pearls to dry out and decay.
- Clean pearls with a soft cloth after wearing to remove body oils and perfume. Your pearls should be the last thing that you put on after dressing.
- Never spray hairspray or perfume on your pearls.
- Store jewelry away from sunlight as light and heat may have adverse effects on certain gemstones.
- Never leave your jewelry on the edge of a sink - it can very easily slip down the drain. Likewise, avoid putting on your jewelry while standing over a sink.
- Do not sleep in your jewelry.
- Store silver jewelry in an airtight zipper bag. Air and sulfurous materials will tarnish your silver jewelry. Anti-tarnish storage bags are available at Murphy-Pitard Jewelers.
- Use a soft polishing cloth to clean your gemstone jewelry. Chemical paste, liquid and bath cleaners, paper towels, etc. are too harsh.
- Rubbing alcohol can remove oils and grease from gold jewelry.
- Purchase an appropriate cleaning solution to keep your pieces clean and untarnished between professional cleanings.